It all began 6 years before Oklahoma became a state. The region was referred to as Indian Territory. Southwest Oklahoma was a historic frontier best known for the adventures of its previous visitors including Cortez, Teddy Roosevelt, and Geronimo. Gold seekers and pioneers settled the rolling hills that border the divide between America's green and desert climates. In February, 1901, three bankers from Wichita Falls, Texas, stopped for lunch at George M. Paschal's store before proceeding to Fort Sill. The bankers were making the trip to explore the possibilities of establishing a bank in the soon-to-be-opened reservation that was to become the city of Lawton. Paschal, the three bankers and another Indian trader applied, as directors, for a bank charter in the new community. The name of the town was not known at that time, but the five assumed it would be named for Fort Sill. So the charter issued March 23, 1901, (four months and fifteen days before Lawton became a town) bore the name "First National Bank of Fort Sill".
In July of that year, the name "Lawton" was chosen for the town, in honor of Major General Henry W. Lawton, and the name of the bank was changed to the "City National Bank of Lawton". In order to start serving people immediately, on opening day, a small frame structure was built on wheels. It was rolled into town right after the opening and located two doors west of the Land Office at the Northwest corner of Third and "D" Avenue. Mr. Frank M. English became president of the bank three years later and served for 27 years. He was succeeded by J. R. "Dolph" Montgomery who ran the bank for 44 years. Montgomery became president at the age of 24 in 1931. He was said to be the youngest president of a national bank in the United States.
During World War II, at the request of Fort Sill officials a City National Bank facility was opened at Fort Sill. This bank was subsequently chartered as the "Fort Sill National Bank" in 1946. In January, 1954 Mr. Montgomery organized a two-bank holding company and served as chairman of the board and president of both banks and the holding company.
When Urban Renewal forced City National Bank to sell the building at 4th and "C" Avenue, he made plans for a new bank building on "D" Avenue, between 5th and 6th Streets. After approving the architect's design and furniture selections, Mr. Montgomery died on February 25, 1975 at the age of 69. In December, 1976 our present building was completed and banking operations began on December 7, 1976.
In April, 1982 the bank installed its first ATM machine at the Express Drive-In. We now service an extensive network of ATM machines in and around the Lawton area. In August of 1984, we opened a branch at 4113 West Gore Boulevard. Our Wal-Mart in store branch was opened in July of 1997 to make banking even more convenient and accessible to the citizens of our community. After a smooth transition into the Year 2000, City National Bank & Trust opened two new branches. In February 2000, the City National Bank Country Mart West Branch opened its doors servicing West Lawton and surrounding areas and in May 2000, the City National Bank Country Mart East Branch opened to assist our East Lawton and surrounding area customers.
Today City National Bank & Trust has more than 35 branches throughout Oklahoma, and continues to expand. We now offer CityNET, our online banking service, making banking easy for our customers wherever they may be. Additional new services exist for banking by phone and access to our statewide ATM system. We are dedicated to providing solid, stable, and modern banking services to our customers. City National Bank & Trust, Oklahoma's Banking Heritage for over 100 years.